Saturday, June 16, 2007

The dance


When Theseus returned from the labyrinth thanks to Ariadne's golden thread, he did the dance of the storks to communicate to others the correct passage through the maze.
Sometimes I wonder if the real monster in that story was the infernally tricky labyrinth itself, created for King Minos by Daedalus to hold the Minotaur. Daedalus was a master engineer, he came up with that winged escape trick for him and his son Icarus. (I think he also came up with some kind of fake mechanical bull to enable Zeus, in bull form, to mount someone's wife - I'll have to look into that one, it's a bit hazy). When Icarus disobeyed his father and flew too close to the sun, the wax melted and his wings fell apart, so he fell and died.
I was speaking to my own father the other day, he was an engineer. This put us in opposition because I always rejected that kind of thing in favour of arts. I saw it as one of the Empire's methods of enslavement. I was telling my dad how I am planning to do a masters degree in engineering - Modelling and Simulation. This in itself is of course a form of trickery. I see myself as going behind enemy lines to work out their tricks.

No comments: